Tuesday 14 February 2017

Hockey Cynic

The first hockey game I ever played was a catastrophe...

20 goals against on 28 shots in 60 minutes, not exactly Vezina Trophy material. Perhaps it was because my chosen player number was “20”, hockey players are superstitious especially goalies. Or maybe it was the fact my defensemen accidentally scored on me twice. Which means technically I only allowed 18 goals. Sure, let’s go with that.  

In spite of that dreadful first outing I persisted and continued playing. After finishing the season with a 2-16 record and a horrifying 9.83GAA, it seemed obvious that the NHL would never be a part of my future. Though I did feel a bit optimistic when I found out Hall of Famer Bernie Parent had surrendered 20 goals in his first game as a kid too.



While I never turned into an NHL star goalie the game to me like most Canadians, is in my blood. So why am I the “Hockey Cynic?”  That is pretty simple really.
My love for hockey has never and will never change. I remain deeply passionate about the greatest sport in the world. Hockey always makes me feel happy and optimistic. Many of the people who oversee hockey however, make me very cynical. That is not to suggest that these individuals should be hated or subjected to ridicule but rather, kept in check. Hockey is Canada’s gift to the world of sport and as such, it must be preserved. Many in charge of the game we love see it differently. As a result, I am often suspicious of their motives. The game is for the fans after all, isn’t it?

“Hockey Cynic” will explore the game in numerous ways from the grandeur and spectacle to the scandal and sorrow, from the fun and the folly, to the history and the heroes. Those legendary men and women who have helped grow the game as well as the trials and tribulations that have made hockey what it is.

Come and see the greatest game on Earth through the eyes of the “Hockey Cynic”






No comments:

Post a Comment